There are many brilliant things about being an English teacher.
One of the very best has to be sharing a love of words, of books, of language.
I'm a voracious reader, and that's very much something I like to share with my students.
I currently teach two classes for English, focusing on readers in KS2. Recently they have asked me for some suggestions on what to read next, so I made them some bookmarks full of quality reads! In the real world I trimmed these and laminated, and gave each child a copy to have with them next time they are stuck for a read. I thought I'd share them here in case they were of use to someone else with a bunch of bookworms!
|
Mrs R’s Challenge
List (c. 8-10)
|
|
How many have you
read? How many can you read?
|
|
Carrie’s War – Bawden
|
|
How to Train Your Dragon – Cowell
|
|
The Tales of Despereaux - DiCamillo
|
|
Artemis Fowl – Colfer
|
|
The Borrowers – Mary Norton
|
|
The Demon Headmaster – Cross
|
|
Matilda – Dahl
|
|
A Bear Called Paddington – Bond
|
|
Swallows and Amazons – Ransome
|
|
Flour Babies – Fine
|
|
My Naughty Little Sister – Edwards
|
|
Finn Family Moomintroll – Jansson
|
|
The Adventures of Tintin – Hergé
|
|
The Queen’s Nose – King-Smith
|
|
Holes – Louis Sachar
|
|
Stig of the Dump – King
|
|
Pippi Longstocking – Lindgren
|
|
Mister Magnolia – Blake
|
|
Goodnight Mr Tom – Magorian
|
|
Little House in the Big Woods - Wilder
|
|
Mrs R’s Challenge
List (c. 10-12)
|
|
How many have you
read? How many can you read?
|
|
Skellig – Almond
|
|
Wolf Brother – Paver
|
|
Millions – Frank Cotrell Boyce
|
|
Keeper – Peet
|
|
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase – Aiken
|
|
Eating Things on Sticks – Fine
|
|
The Witches – Dahl
|
|
Sparks – Kennen
|
|
Once – Gleitzman
|
|
Friendly Matches – Ahlberg
|
|
Journey to the River Sea – Ibbotson
|
|
Charlotte’s Web – White
|
|
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Lewis
|
|
The Arrival – Tan
|
|
Private Peaceful – Morpurgo
|
|
The Hobbit – Tolkien
|
|
Truckers – Pratchett
|
|
The Little Prince – de Saint-Exupery
|
|
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone -
Rowling
|
|
Ribblestrop - Mulligan
|
Note: these are not meant to be exhaustive, but are more a stepping stone in a readers' journey. I'd say most of the titles could be enjoyed by both age groups, but a few of the books on the older list might be a little too advanced in theme and approach for younger children.
I'll be making new 'challenge lists' (my classes are competitive and love anything competitive!) next term. Which books would you add?

